Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Racing is my drug of choice

I was walking with my wife Colleen tonight and she asked me "do you have more fun riding with your friends or racing?". At first I couldn't explain it "I enjoy both" I said. But in thinking about it more I said "there is a feeling that comes with racing that never comes on the joy ride".

I wish I could capture how it feels mid-race, the feeling of flying through the forest - flowing from turn to turn, coming to an open section and standing up over a slight rise...holding momentum, building speed and then dropping into another section of single track - the forest flying by in a blur but yet being able to see so clearly the trail ahead. My body feeling truely like a machine, everything pumping, flowing, breathing...a dance of physics, mechanics and desire.

These words really don't do it justice. If you ride mountain bikes you probably have a sense of what I'm talking about. If you race you may know the feeling I'm talking about, but then again maybe it's different for everyone.

All I know is that it's a high like nothing else, and I'm hooked :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home